The law provides that a secretary of state cannot schedule a border survey within seven years following a previous investigation. The Assembly and the Power-Sharing Executive were suspended 24 hours on 11 August 2001 and 22 September 2001. The first suspension concerned the dismantling of IRA weapons. The second suspension, in September, came after a failure to block the issue of dismantling weapons and the reinstatement of Prime Minister David Trimble, who resigned on 1 July 2001.1 The previous text contains only four articles; It is this short text that is the legal agreement, but it contains the latter agreement in its timetables. [7] Technically, this proposed agreement can be distinguished as a multi-party agreement, unlike the Belfast Agreement itself. [7] 1. This agreement provides for a democratically elected assembly in Northern Ireland, including its affiliation, capable of exercising executive and legislative powers and which is subject to guarantees for the protection of the rights and interests of all parties to the Community. The current decentralisation regime, which once held an important portfolio for home affairs in Northern Ireland, has reduced the role of Foreign Minister and has given the Northern Ireland Assembly and Executive a large number of previous powers. In general, the Secretary of State merely represents Northern Ireland in the British cabinet, oversees the functioning of the de decentralised administration and a number of reserved and excluded issues that remain the exclusive competence of the British Government. B, for example security, human rights, certain public inquiries and election management. [1] The participants in the agreement were composed of two sovereign states (the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland), with armed forces and police forces involved in the riots.

Two political parties, Sinn Féin and the Progressive Unionist Party (PUP), were linked to paramilitary organisations: the IRA (Commissional Irish Republican Army) and the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF). The Ulster Democratic Party (UDP), associated with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), had withdrawn from the talks three months earlier. In the Republic, voters voted on the nineteenth amendment to the Irish Constitution. This amendment allowed the State to comply with the Belfast Agreement and provided for the removal of the „territorial claim“ contained in Articles 2 and 3. On the same day, a referendum was held on the Treaty of Amsterdam (the eighteenth Amendment of the Irish Constitution). In 2004, negotiations were held between the two governments, the DUP, and Sinn Féin, for an agreement to restore the institutions. The talks failed, but a document published by governments detailing the changes to the Belfast agreement was known as the „comprehensive agreement.“ However, on 26 September 2005, it was announced that the Provisional Republican Army of Ireland had completely closed its arsenal of weapons and had „taken it out of service“. Nevertheless, many trade unionists, especially the DUP, remained skeptical. Among the loyalist paramilitaries, only the Loyalist Volunteer Force (LVF) had decommissioned all weapons. [21] Further negotiations took place in October 2006 and resulted in the St Andrews Agreement. 2.

Participants also recalled that, as part of this comprehensive political agreement, the two governments committed to proposing or supporting amendments to the Irish Constitution or british legislation on the constitutional status of Northern Ireland. 7 The fact is that the British government is now officially obliged to cede part of its territory to another state.

Categories: Allgemein